Do You Know The Difference Between Mold and Mildew? We Do!
When you have the creeping crud taking over your home, it’s hard to care whether it’s mold or mildew- you just want it gone. But mold and mildew have very different effects on your home and on you. Here are some facts showing what makes the two fungal growths so similar – and what makes them completely different.
Mold vs. Mildew: Which Is More Dangerous?
Mildew is mostly harmless, though there are a few breeds of mildew that can do damage to your home. While it’s more common than mold, it’s mostly an eyesore and unpleasant to the touch due to the powdery feeling. Mold, on the other hand, is much more invasive and can cause significant damage to vulnerable areas of your home. Mold tends to be fuzzy and more varied in color than mildew is. Signs that you might have mold include:
• Musty odors coming from secluded places in your home
• Dark stains on walls
• Previous leaks and water damage
• Fuzzy growths on organic matter, including walls, floors, and food
• Unexplained allergic reactions with no other allergen sources present
So How Do You Get Rid of Mold and Mildew?
Mold and mildew remediation can be difficult, but not impossible. While you are constantly inundated with free-floating mold spores, it’s possible to take preventative steps to ensure your home isn’t a hospitable environment for either parasitic growth to breed. Mitigate any leaks or water issues in your home, and clean up quickly after any floods. Adequately ventilate your home, and use a dehumidifier if needed to prevent growth in moist, humid areas. If you suspect a mold or mildew infestation, you can call in a professional to perform necessary testing and isolate the causes in your home. For more information, visit SERVPRO of Williamsport/Montoursville or call us at 570-546-3500.